Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Patience....

Patience is one of those things that seems like it was left out of my programming. My parents and my husband will tell you that I have always liked to have things done how, where, and when I want. A few events have taken place over the last weekend and I have been reminded that I need to be more patient before certain events can happen in my life. I'll let you in on a secret, Lyle and I want to have a baby. Shhh.... don't tell anyone. After much praying and pondering on this subject, I have been reminded that things happen on the time table of the Lord, not necessarily when I want them to happen. We haven't been actively trying (because we are both still in school) and it isn't due to fertility problems (we aren't aware of any yet). It has all been a matter of timing. Lyle will tell you that I have wanted a baby for over a year now, but we have held off because we know it isn't right yet.

Anyways.....before I ramble on more about things that you probably don't want or need to know about... :) Knowing that something isn't supposed to happen yet, doesn't make it any easier to wait for. So, after a few promptings from above, I decided to delve further into the topic of patience. I came across this great talk from Elder Neal A. Maxwell (I always like his talks). It's called "Patience" and it is from the October 1980 Ensign. I would very highly recommend it.


If you don't have time to read it right now, let me share a few of the lines with you that inspired me.

"Patience is not indifference. Actually, it is caring very much, but being willing, nevertheless, to submit both to the Lord and to what the scriptures call the “process of time.”


"Sometimes that which we are doing is correct enough but simply needs to be persisted in—patiently—not for a minute or a moment but sometimes for years."

"One is not only to endure—but to endure well and gracefully those things which the Lord 'seeth fit to inflict upon [us]' (Mosiah 3:19)..."

"Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best—better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than his. 

So, my New Years Resolution is to be more patient with myself, but more importantly to be more patient with my Heavenly Father. I need to have more faith in his plan for my life and stop complaining about not having exactly what I want, exactly when I want it. So 2012, hopefully you bring many great and wonderful things, and hopefully some of them are things that I want. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment